Two saloons, one hotel, and known for its prime Native American hunting grounds with quick access to the Natchez Trace, Kinderhook was once in competition for the county seat against Columbia. Kinderhook, known as Lodibar prior to the 1900’s, is one of the oldest communities in Maury County. William and Gracey Kersey founded Kinderhook in 1805.
The Natchez Trace, once overrun with robbers and bushwackers, was the only trail used for the trade of goods by the Native Americans leading to Mississippi. This road was used by many people, not only pioneers but also in times of war.
The Kinderhook School consisted of one room and was located next to the Kinderhook Church. The school was built in 1903, and was only in session 3 months out of the year beginning in mid-August so that the children could help with the family farms. Eight grades were taught at Kinderhook School. In 1903, the Kinderhook Church was also built; however, before the church was built, services were held in a field at the Kirby White Farm. Special events and dinners were often held at the church. Reportedly, the chorus had a beautiful sound and could be heard for miles. Walker Waddy was a leader in the church and was a well respected man within this community. Elmore School, named after Elmer Hutcherson, consisted of one large room and two small coatrooms built in 1928. Sunday school classes were held at Elmore School in the 1940’s.
Several taverns along with inns, stores, and a tannery were located in Kinderhook. Mail was delivered to the Kinderhook post office once every 2 weeks by post rider, Seth Sparkman, beginning in the late 1800’s with rural delivery starting in 1903. Car delivery was put into use by 1933. A peddling wagon and taxi service was also available in Kinderhook during this time.
Dog Creek got its name from a rowdy bunch of boys riding horses down the creek whilst dogs barked resulting in calling it Dog Creek. Luckett School, built in the Dog Creek area around year 1900, served children from both Hickman and Maury counties including the areas of Kinderhook, Dog Creek, and Primm Springs Village. All children walked to school carrying their lunch and their own dipper gourd for drinking water.
Hinson, C. and Hardison, Harold. Maury County Tennessee History and Families. Paducah, KY: Turner Publishing Company, 1998.